Monsters

Kyle’s sister took the Stennes family minus the wee-ones to the Twins game last night. One of my supervisors from work was kind enough to not only loan out her daughter to us but to come over and help as well. Knowing Elle so well, I knew she would more than likely be scare of the “monster” next to her bed. There is a panel next to her bed with access to the water pipes. When we or any of the units above us use the water Elle hears it through the panel and thinks there is a monster there. We came up with a way to cover the panel and that satisfied Elle for a bit. She apparently thinks that if it is covered the monster can’t get through. Lately however, her fear of this “monster” has grown and even with the panel covered she is a bit scared.

On the way to work this morning I was trying to come up with a way to help Elle realize that the monster wouldn’t hurt her. The first thing I thought of to help Elle was to teach her to pray to Jesus and ask that in His name the monster stay away. I have to admit my heart smiled a bit. Trying to raise a strong willed child to pray and thank God for dinner before she eats is proving to be difficult. It suddenly dawned on me that maybe this way Elle would start to realize that Jesus is always there and wants to be there to protect her and help her. Not only was I ecstatic that she might finally start to grasp how amazing God is but also that it was the first thing I thought of.

As a mom, I feel like I am always being critiqued for my parenting skills. That doesn’t mean I AM being critiqued; it just means that how I feel. :) While my children belong to God he has entrusted them to my husband and me. We hope and pray that they find Jesus and continue to seek him throughout their lives. When Elle flat out refuses to pray at dinner time it hurts a little. Not only because has decided not to interact with her creator a sustainer but also because it sort of makes me feel like I’m failing in a way. Granted she is only 2 ½ and has plenty of time to grow in her spiritual walk and still at the age of innocence.

On the other side of things, she has multiple children’s Bibles that she carries through out the house and “reads” on almost a daily basis. I have to admit, that’s better than me! Ultimately she is in God’s hands and I trust her to him. After all, she is saying “Thank You” most of the time with no prompting and no need for it. Just because she’s thankful! Thank you JESUS!

Comments

Popular Posts